Beauty. Fashion. Food. Lifestyle.

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Dangers To Look Out For In An Old Office Building

Photo by Charlotte May from Pexels 
If your office building is quite old, it could be worth checking that there are no dangers lurking in the walls. Many materials that were once widely used in construction are no longer deemed safe today, but still exist in many buildings. On top of this, many older buildings are prone to wear and tear, which can cause all kinds of problems.
Running a business can be a juggling act and so quite often building issues can get overlooked - certainly more so than in residential buildings. It’s important that you don’t ignore these issues as they could cause harm to you and your employees. Below are just a few examples of common dangers found in old office buildings, along with some of the warning signs to look out for and how to fix these problems.
Worn wiring
Old worn wiring can be a serious danger. It is one of the most common causes of fires. You’ll usually get some warning if the electrics are starting to fail in your office buildings. Typical signs to look out for include flickering lights, dead sockets and circuit breaker trips. You should be particularly wary of burning smells coming from outlets or scorch marks.
It is recommended that you get your electrics inspected every 10 years. Industrial electrical contractors will be able to carry out any rewiring if necessary. Make sure to get any electrical problems looked at immediately.
Until the late 1990s, asbestos was heavily used in the construction of buildings as an insulation and fire-proofing material. It was discovered however that asbestos could be highly dangerous if particles got into the air and were breathed in - resulting in a cancer called mesothelioma.
Asbestos is still lurking in many old buildings. While it isn’t a danger unless disturbed, it is still worth removing as a precaution. There are asbestos inspection and removal companies that can carry out this job.
Lead paint
Lead paint was commonly used in buildings until the 1970s. This was until it was discovered dust from lead paint could cause lead poisoning if ingested or breathed in.
Many buildings containing lead paint have since stripped away this paint and replaced it with non-leaded paint. However, there are still some old buildings that contain lead paint. It could be worth getting any old wall paint in your office inspected to ensure that it doesn’t contain lead.
Many of us are familiar with mold. This fungus thrives in damp conditions and can be particularly common in old buildings that may contain exterior cracks or plumbing leaks. You can usually see mold and it typically has a distinctly musty smell. Mold can cause a lot of irritation to eyes and airways and so it’s important to remove it.
Before removing mold, it’s important to find the source. Any leaks should be patched up to avoid mold regrowing. You can then look into removing the mold - for serious outbreaks of mold it is best to hire a mold removal company.

Old buildings are typically a magnet for pests as they typically have more cracks for getting in. Such pests could include rodents, cockroaches or wasps. On top of being unpleasant, such pests can be a health hazards, so it’s important to get rid of them the moment they are sighted.

Pest control services will be able to find the source of an infestation. It is not recommended that you take on these pests yourself (especially when it comes to wasps nests).
Blogger Template Created by pipdig