The Pros of Going Short
Style experts say there is a long list of good reasons for choosing a short dress, some of them fun and some of them practical!
- No tripping or overheating. With a short dress, comfort reigns and you won't need to worry about your heels getting caught up in your dress – and you'll be able to coolly strut your stuff on the dance floor all night without your dress getting in the way, or making you overheat.
- Less dress, less to change. Alterations for prom dresses can be a major headache – and if you're unlucky, it can be one which can continue until just hours before the big night. With a shorter dress, any alterations that may be needed are likely to be a lot smaller and a lot easier.
- Standing out from the crowd. While there are plenty of short formal dresses to be seen on catwalks and red carpets, chances are that on prom night, you'll be surrounded by girls in long gowns – and the odds of somebody turning up in the same dress are a lot lower when you go short!
- It won't have to be just for prom night. While many prom dresses end up packed away in a box at the back of a closet forever after the big night, a short dress will have plenty more chances to be seen again at future parties. And if your budget is a major consideration, the price tags often get smaller along with the size of the dress.
- Give your shoes a chance to shine. Your shoes are a big – and expensive – part of any prom ensemble, and with a shorter dress, you’ll be a lot more able to show off those perfect heels or pumps!
What Style of Short Gown Will Suit You?
While there may be less material to play with, there are just as many varieties of short prom dress out there as there are of longer gowns, and one can be found that will flatter any figure. Sleeveless dresses are ideal for the slim figure, while halter styles can be stunning on just about anybody – and will put your accessories on full display! One-shoulder dresses are among the most flattering around, and the princess or “A-line” dress style is a great way to introduce features like pearls and sequins. There are also plenty of lace-covered style that suit short dresses – and all kinds of figures – perfectly, and the classic cocktail short dress can be ideal for prom night, and plenty of other occasions besides.
Staying Short and Staying Classy
Short may be trendy but it can also be traditional – short dresses were turning heads as far back as the 1920s! Style experts say that with a shorter dress, you can still achieve a completely classic look if you keep things straightforward – don't go overboard with your hairstyle or make-up keep your shoes, jewelry, and other accessories simple, and make sure everything matches the dress!
This article is contributed by Mediabuzzer.