Beauty. Fashion. Food. Lifestyle.

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Recovery and Aftercare for Wisdom Teeth Removal

Wisdom teeth are the last molars to emerge in the back of the mouth. They typically emerge between the ages of 17 and 25, but some people may never develop them.

According to the Australian Dental Association, there are approximately 5,000 registered dentists in Victoria, with the majority in Melbourne. In 2019-2020, over 3.3 million dental services were provided in Victoria, with the most common procedures being check-ups and preventative services, fillings, and extractions.

Private health insurance covers approximately 57% of dental services in Victoria. In comparison, the remaining 43% are funded by the government through programs such as the Child Dental Benefits Schedule and public dental services.

Getting your wisdom teeth removal in Melbourne can be a daunting experience. Following your dentist's instructions carefully is essential to ensure a smooth and quick recovery.

This article will guide you through the recovery process and provide some tips for aftercare.

 Image by Sam Williams from Pixabay

The First Few Hours After Surgery

After wisdom teeth removal, it is common to experience bleeding, swelling, and discomfort. The first few hours are crucial for a speedy recovery. Bite down gently on the gauze pad provided by your dentist to help stop the bleeding. Apply an ice pack to your cheek for 10-20 minutes to reduce swelling. Resting for the first 24 hours is also essential for healing your body.

Managing Pain and Discomfort

Pain and discomfort are normal, but there are several ways to manage them. Your dentist may prescribe pain medication or suggest over-the-counter pain relievers. Applying heat or cold therapy to the affected area can also provide relief. Be sure to follow your dentist's instructions on managing pain and discomfort.

Eating and Drinking

Sticking to soft foods for the first few days after wisdom teeth removal is essential. Avoid hard, crunchy, or spicy foods, as they can irritate the affected area. Opt for easy chew-and-swallow foods like mashed potatoes, yogurt, and smoothies. It is also important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, but avoid using straws as they can dislodge the blood clot and delay healing.

Oral Hygiene

Maintaining good oral hygiene is crucial after wisdom teeth removal. Gently brush your teeth with a soft-bristled brush, carefully avoiding the affected area. Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater several times daily to keep the area clean and promote healing. Avoid using mouthwash or toothpaste that contains alcohol, as it can irritate the area and delay healing.

Follow-Up Visits

Your dentist will schedule follow-up visits to monitor your progress and ensure proper healing. It is important to keep these appointments and follow your dentist's instructions. If necessary, they may recommend additional treatment, such as antibiotics or pain medication. It is also important to notify your dentist if you experience any complications, such as excessive bleeding or signs of infection.

Final Thoughts

In conclusion, wisdom teeth removal in Melbourne can be a stressful experience, but proper care and follow-up can be a smooth and quick recovery. Remember to rest, manage pain and discomfort, eat soft foods, maintain good oral hygiene, and attend follow-up visits. If you have any questions or considerations, do not hesitate to talk to your dentist. They help you recover and ensure a healthy and pain-free mouth.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig